Chicago Public Schools Policy States that students can be excused for the following reasons:
- Student illness which includes mental health days
- Family emergency
- Religious holiday
- Death in the family
- Concern for student health or safety (must be approved by principal/principal designee)
- Other situations beyond the control of the student (must be approved by principal/principal designee)
- Sounding Taps at a military honors funeral
- A student's parent or legal guardian is an active duty member of the uniformed services called to duty, on leave or has immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone
There are two ways to report an absence:
- A parent/guardian can report an absence by dialing the attendance line at (773) 534-8037 and speaking to staff or leaving a message.
- Alternatively, a parent/guardian can complete an absence form LPHS Absence Form. Absence forms with an electronic/typed signature cannot be accepted. Please review absence forms for accuracy prior to submission. Absence forms can be submitted in the Attendance Office, Room 102.
The following information is required when reporting an absence:
- Parent/guardian name
- Student name
- Date of absence or periods of absence
- Reason for absence
Early dismissals require in-person pick-up if the student is under 18 years of age. Phone calls or emails cannot be used for student dismissal. The individual picking up the student must be listed on the emergency contact list in order for us to release the student. The parent/guardian must also have an ID with them in order to sign the student out. Students who leave on their own, without a parent signing them out, cannot receive an excused absence.
Students who are 18 must report to the attendance office 102 in order to receive an early dismissal. The attendance office is required to call home and speak with a parent/guardian before the student can sign themselves out.
- 5 tardies equals 1 detention
- Detentions are Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Freshman Building Cafeteria from 3:30pm-5:15pm.
- Students who cannot make the Tu/Thurs schedule should reach out to Dean Johnson and Mrs. Delgado.
What if there is a mistake on my attendance? If you notice a teacher has marked you incorrectly, please contact the teacher via email and CC Ms. Delgado, [email protected] so that the mistake can be reviewed.
How can I view my attendance/my student’s attendance?
Students and parents get view attendance in the Aspen Portal. Parents can also set up attendance triggers so they are notified when their student is marked absent or tardy.
What do all the different codes mean?
A means absent unexcused
SF means school function
T means tardy
A-E means absent excused
AUFD means unexcused full day
AUHD means unexcused half day
AEFD means absent excused full day
AEHD means absent excused half day