Advanced Placement (AP)
Purpose of AP Classes & Exams
What is AP? What is its purpose?
- AP classes give students the chance to tackle college-level work while they're still in high school—whether they're learning online or in the classroom.
- AP Exams are standardized exams designed to measure how well you’ve mastered the content and skills of a specific AP course. Most AP courses have an end-of-year exam, but a few courses have different ways to assess what you’ve learned—for example, AP Art and Design students submit a portfolio of work for scoring.
- And through taking AP Exams, students can earn college credit and placement.
- Discover AP
CollegeBoard Testing Accommodations
Students with testing accommodations
- If you have an IEP/504 that INCLUDES testing accommodations throughout the school year, you can qualify to apply for testing accommodations with CollegeBoard.
- IF you are approved for testing accommodations through CollegeBoard, those accommodations will apply for the student's entire high school career. The accommodations will be available for PSAT, SAT and AP testing.
AP CollegeBoard Resources for students and families
- MyAP website for students and teachers
- AP Students - information and resources about courses, exams, and post high school life
- Action Plan - What to expect in your AP classes during the school year
Chicago Public Schools is committed to equitably supporting students and families, especially during the global pandemic. To continue to honor our Advanced Placement (AP) students’ efforts, accomplishments, and plans for post-secondary success, CPS will cover the cost of all AP examination fees in 2023 to ease any financial burden on families during this difficult time. AP@CPS will not be able to cover any other costs or fees incurred (i.e. $40 late fee). Any and all students who are eligible for Fee Reduction should be indicated in APRO by April 15, 2023, as the funds to cover exams are contingent on students correctly identified for the Fee Reduction for the AP exam. We will provide reminders for Registration and Ordering (due November 15 for year-long courses, March 15 for spring semester courses) as well as other action items and deadlines throughout the year to support you in enrolling and positioning students for taking the exam in May 2023. Stay tuned!
For more information regarding specific AP classes please reach out to the instructor that leads the specific AP course. More information can be found on the Staff Directory.